Government approves the Launch of KUSUM scheme
by Bhavin Gajjar
Posted on March 13, 2019 at 18:31 PM
The solar pump distribution scheme called Kisan Urja Suraksha evam Utthaan Mahaabhiyan (KUSUM) was announced in the Union Budget of the year 2018-19. And 48,000 crore has been allocated for the period of 10 years.
The Government of India has approved the launch of KUSUM scheme. The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs(CCEA) approved the launch of this scheme last month 19 Feb, with the aim of providing farmers with financial and water security. The scheme intends to promote solar farming among farmers. You can see the advantages of KUSUM scheme in one of our previous blogs.
There are three components of this Scheme
- Component A: Under this component, the capacity of 500 kW to 2 MW Solar PV Projects will be set up by Individual farmers/ FPO(Farmers Producer Organization)/Panchayats on their barren or cultivable lands.
- Component B: Under this component, Individual farmers will be supported in installing standalone solar pumps of capacity up to 7.5 HP to replace existing diesel pumps.
- Component C: Under this component, Individual farmers will be supported in solarising pumps of capacity up to 7.5 HP. Here, up to two times of pump capacity in kW will be allowed.
Features of KUSUM scheme
- 17.5 lakh solar powered water pumps will be distributed by the Government.
- 10,000 MW solar plants will be built on barren lands by individual farmers/FPO.
- If farmers produce excess electricity, they will be able to earn extra income by selling the energy to the state electricity DISCOMs(Distribution Companies).
- 60 percent subsidy will be offered to the farmers by the Government.
- This scheme is likely to reduce the amount of CO2 by decreasing the usage of diesel.
This scheme will benefit not only the farmers but also the environment by saving the CO2 emission. Approximately, 27 tonnes of CO2 emission per annum is likely to be saved with all three components combined together.
Would you like to know more about solar powered products? Contact us.